Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland U21s progress to semi-final after impressive second half performance against Rathvilly

posted 2 Aug 2015, 04:11 by

By Eamonn Byrne

Tinryland U21 footballers qualified for the Carlow U21 football semi-final when they overcame a strong Rathvilly outfit at Netwatch Cullen Park on Saturday 1st August.

The eventual winners trailed the Wicklow border side at the interval after a low scoring first half that saw the men in blue and white squander numerous chances. Rathvilly opened the scoring in the 1st minute when Conor O’Brien slotted over a great point. This score was cancelled out 60 seconds later when Niall Lowry who was operating at wing back converted a 40 metre free which was won by Cian Lawlor the Tinryland captain.  Tinryland’s defence was doing very well at this stage of the game but up front chances were squandered with a litany of wides and ball being kicked into the Rathvilly keepers hands. Tinryland were running at the Rathvilly men during this period but wrong options were taken and possession was lost before a score could be attempted. Tinryland’s second score eventually arrived in the 14th minute when Niall Lowry converted another free after good play by Shane Webb, John Dwyer and Diarmaid Walshe. It got even better for the team in blue and white over the next 3 minute period with Mark Lawlor slotting over a point after good play by his brother Cian and Fionnan Burke. Tinryland midfielder John Dwyer then showed his class when he won the Rathvilly kickout and burst through the defence to slot over a point.  Rathvilly however were always a threat when they had possession and their full forward Martin Cole reduced the Tinryland lead to 2 points in the 17th minute. Tinryland continued to squander chances at the other end and the minimum separated the sides by the 20th minute when Rathvilly midfielder Brian Smith raised a white flag from a free kick conceded by Cian Lawlor. Tinryland continued to take wrong options at this stage and were being dispossessed all too easily. Rathvilly had a clear cut goal chance in the 25th minute but Mark Lawlor saved the day. Two minutes later Rathvilly eventually breached the Tinryland defence when towering full forward Martin Cole picked up a breaking ball and rattled the Tinryland net to put his side two points clear with 3 minutes left in the half. Andrew Hanley then made it a one point game when he slotted over a point following more good play by Cian Lawlor before referee John Hickey sounded the half time whistle. Half Time score Rathvilly 1-3 Tinryland 0-5.

When Tinryland emerged from the dressing room Peter Hennessy had replaced Conor McGrath and a determined Tinryland were level within 90 seconds when Diarmaid Walshe pointed after great play by Niall Lowry. Mark Lawlor who played well throughout then regained the lead for his team when he scored a point after linking well with Diarmaid Walshe. At the other end the Tinryland backs were hoovering up any Rathvilly threat with excellent tackles being made by John Murphy, Cathal Gaffney, Fionnan Burke and the rock solid corner back Sean Kirwan which gave great protection to hoops goalie Ciaran Byrne. In the 38th minute Diarmaid Walshe extended the lead to two points following great play by the Lawlor brothers Cian and Mark but Tinryland continued to miss chances and by the mid- way stage of the second half had added a further six wides to their  half time tally of 5. The screw was beginning to be turned however with John Dwyer making some great catches at mid-field and a great point from Niall Lowry with his left foot in the 43rd minute extended the lead out to 3 points. Three more wides from Conor O’Toole, Diarmaid Walshe and Andrew Hanley then followed before Diarmaid made it a 4 point game when he raised a white flag after a great pass from Ciaran Larkin. Rathvilly continued to press but the Tinryland defence well marshalled by full back John Murphy remained composed. With 11 minutes remaining Rathvilly got their only second half score when mid-fielder Brian Smith converted a free to leave only 3 points separating the sides. This was as near as they got to Tinryland though and the closing ten minutes saw Tinryland up the gears scoring 2 quick points in a two minute spell via Andrew Hanley and Ciaran Larkin after excellent play from Diarmaid Walshe, Mark Lawlor and John Dwyer. The icing was then applied to the cake with 6 minutes remaining with a super Ciaran Larkin goal as Tinryland rang the changes from the bench introducing Dean Dunne, Adam Dunne, Garry Scully and Conall O’Se into the action. Proceedings were then brought to a close with a successful free converted by Niall Lowry as Tinryland ran out winners on a scoreline of 1-13 to 1-4.

Tinryland will now meet old rivals Eire Og in the semi- final but will have to improve their accuracy as the total wide tally at the end was 13.

Team : Ciaran Byrne, Cathal Gaffney, John Murphy, Sean Kirwan, Fionnan Burke, Shane Webb, Niall Lowry 0-4, John Dwyer 0-1, Mark Lawlor 0-2, Conor McGrath, Cian Lawlor captain, Ciaran Larkin 1-1,Diarmaid Walshe 0-3, Conor O’Toole, Andrew Hanley 0-2. Subs Peter Hennessy, Garry Scully, Dean Dunne, Adam Dunne, Conall O’Se.