Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tinryland Win in First SFL Div 3 Match

posted 6 Apr 2013, 12:43 by
Tinryland 3-9 St.Patricks 2-6
By Eamonn Byrne
In a game that began and ended with goals from either side, Tinrylands Junior A squad made a good start in their defence of the S.F.L Division 3 title against St.Patricks in Rathrogue on Saturday the 6th April.
The game began with a Tullow goal by Ebbie Quigley within 60 seconds of the throw in. This score was cancelled out 3 minutes later when Michael Delaney crashed home a goal following good work by Gary Fields, John Jackson and Jeff Abbott. The Tullow team regained the advantage web wing forward Stephen Hogan pointed in the 6th minute but this score was cancelled out by Jeff Abbott's brilliant kick from a 45. Tinryland full forward David Townsend scored two points in succession within the 9th and 12th minutes but Tullow were back in the lead by the 13th minute when Ebbie Quigley scored from the penalty spot. A successful free by Gary Fields in the 17th minute left the sides level but Tinryland were dealt a blow when midfielder Alan Kirwan had to retire with a hamstring injury to be replaced by Conor Nolan. Gerry Dooley restored st.Patricks advantage in the 20th minute before Gary "Gooche" Fields levelled matters once again with 4 minutes remaining in the first half. Te final act of the first half saw Tullow regain their one point advantage when Stephen Hogan pointed to leave the half time score 2-3 to 1-5 in favour of St.Patricks. Tinryland introduced subs Conor O Brien for Gary Scully and David O Shea for Mick Moore. In the 32nd minute a Gary Fields point from a free left the sides level and when the same player scored a great goal in the 38th minute, Tinryland were never headed despite St.Patricks reducing the margi to the minimum with points from Daniel McMahon and Ebbie Quigley. Tinrylands man of the match Gary Fields put daylight between the sides once again in the 44th minute before Anthony Moran of St.Patricks converted a free to leave the scoreboard 2-7 to 2-6 in favour of Tinryland with 16 minutes remaining. A sublime point from Micheal Delaney following a pass from Gary Fields stretched Tinrylands advantage to two points with 8 minutes left. Tinryland supporters were in happy mood when Gary Fields converted another free in the 58th minute and the icing was put on the cake when the same player crashed home a goal from the penalty spot in the dying seconds. Outstanding for Tinryland were Patrick Townsend at full back, James Moore, Jeff Abbott Dean Farrell, John Kelly, David Townsend, Micheal Delaney and man of the match Gary Fields.

Tinryland: Colm Nolan, Gary Scully, Patrick Townsend, James Moore, Dean Farrell, Chris Townsend, John Kelly, Alan Kirwan, Gregg Murphy, Gary Fields 2-5, John Jackson, Jeff Abbott 0-1, Mick Moore , David Townsend 0-2, Michael Delaney 1-1. Subs: Conor Nolan, Conor O Brien, David O Shea and Colm Kennedy.
Man of the match- Gary Fields