Match Reports‎ > ‎

Understrength Tinryland lose out to Newtown Blues in Leinster Minor Tournament

posted 2 Nov 2014, 13:20 by

By Eamonn Byrne

The curtain came down on a historic season for Tinryland minor footballers when they lost out to Newtown Blues of Drogheda in the Leinster minor tournament at Pairc Ui Bhrian on Sunday last 2nd November. Forced to line out without regulars John Murphy, Dylan Reamsbottom and Conor McGrath Tinryland were competitive in the first half and led by 2 points by the 18th minute. Newtown Blues were first to score when Ciaran Downey pointed after a foul on their corner forward Dale Harding. Tinryland were quickly back on level terms with a great James McGrath point in the 7th minute. A great move involving Kevin Carr, Ciaran Downey and Johnny McDonnell saw the Louth team regain the lead in the 12th minute before great work from Niall Lowry resulted in a Dean Dunne point for Tinryland to leave matters all square mid-way through the first half. Tinryland were now getting to grips with the pace of the game and within 2 minutes between the 16th and 18th minutes scored two brilliant points via Conall o’Se and Niall Lowry, the later score the result of a free won by Dean Dunne. Newtown Blues response was swift and by the 24th minute they had edged into a two point lead following a point and a goal from Ciaran Downey. Tinryland’s woes were then compounded when Conall O’Se was unlucky to receive a black card and he was replaced by the late arriving Andrew Hanley. Half time score Newtown Blues 1-3 Tinryland 0-4.

The second half began with Ciaran Byrne bringing off a great save to keep Tinryland in the hunt and taking inspiration Cathal Gaffney slotted over a well worked point following good play by Conor O’Toole, Ciaran Larkin and Niall Lowry. 3 minutes later Tinryland were back on level terms following an excellent conversion by Niall Lowry following a free which was won by sub John Fleming.

The Newtown Blues response was swift however and in the 37th minute their wing back Kevin Carr ran through the Tinryland defence like a knife through butter to score the goal of the game.

Tinryland then began to empty the bench introducing Adam Murphy for Peter Hennessy and Killian Maher for Conall Dunne. Tinryland had two gilt edged chances at this stage but Conall Dunne and Dean Dunne both had their shots blocked. Tinryland then introduced Eoin Fields for Dean Dunne but we were then dealt another blow when defender Fionnan Burke received a black card which looked slightly on the harsh side considering a Louth player had got a yellow moments earlier for a similar offence.With 10 minutes remaining Newtown Blues had edged into a 5 point lead following 2 more Downey points and the Tinryland scoring was completed with 7 minutes remaining when Niall Lowry converted another free. The final stages saw the Louth representatives add on three more points but Tinryland did have one last chance of a goal but Andrew Hanley was unlucky with his shot. Final score Newtown Blues 2-9 Tinryland 0-7.

Team: Ciaran Byrne, Seamus Curran, Fionnan Burke, Sean Kirwan, Ciaran Larkin, Cathal Gaffney 0-1, Adam Dunne, Mark Lawlor, Peter Hennessy, Conor O’Toole, Niall Lowry 0-3, Conall Dunne, Conall O’Se 0-1, James McGrath 0-1, Dean Dunne 0-1. Subs Andrew Hanley, John Fleming, Adam Murphy, Killian Maher, Eoin Fields.