Match Reports‎ > ‎

Understrength Tinryland lose out to Old Leighlin in Division 1 but still qualify for semi-final

posted 22 May 2017, 10:50 by

       By Eamonn Byrne 

This game in Rathcrogue on Saturday last featured a goal in the first 10 seconds of action and a goal for Tinryland with the final kick of the match. The opening goal from Old Leighlin scored by Aaron Amond straight from the throw in after 2 Tinryland defenders collided shaped the pattern of this encounter. The home side who are already qualified for the knockout stages and were minus their 3 Carlow players were playing catch up afterwards in a game that had a lot of pace about it and was a totally enjoyable affair for the spectators present.

Old Leighlin extended their advantage to 4 points by the 5th minute with a Sean Bambrick point before Tinryland opened their account when James McGrath raised a white flag in the 6th minute.

Peter Hennessy for Tinryland and Sean Bambrick traded points before Declan Gough and Seamus Kinsella extended the advantage to 5 points for the men from Molaise Park by the half way stage of the first half. Cormac Walshe for Tinryland and Aaron Amond also exchanged points as did Cathal Coughlan for Old Leighlin and Padraic Townsend for the home team as play moved rapidly from end to end. Shane Webb had a great chance to score a goal for Tinryland in the 22nd minute but the Old Leighlin defence cleared their lines just as the ball was about to enter the net. The final action of the opening half saw Cathal Coughlan and Padraic Townsend exchange points to leave the half time scoreboard reading Old Leighlin 1-7 Tinryland 0-6.

When play resumed Tinryland had introduced Cian Moore and Adam Dunne into the fray and they quickly reduced the margin to 2 points with 2 Cormac Walshe points in the 35th and 36th minutes.

Tinryland introduced U.S.A. bound Diarmaid Walshe into the action and he immediately slotted over a point to leave the minimum separating the sides with 20 minutes remaining. At the other end Trevor O’Reilly was forced to make a point blank save from David Bambrick as Old Leighlin upped the ante once again to make sure of the league points which would keep them in contention for a place in the semi-final. Sean Bambrick gave the eventual winners some breathing space when he pointed in the 41st minute but Diarmaid Walshe responded at the other end with a point leaving the minimum separating the teams heading into the final quarter. Old Leighlin’s pressure was beginning to make an impact and Hughie Gahan, Seamus Kinsella and Michael Meaney all scored valuable points in a 2 minute spell to give their team a 5 point cushion entering the final 10 minutes. Peter Hennessy stemmed the Old Leighlin flow when he pointed with 9 minutes remaining but 3 more points from Cathal Coughlan (2) and Aaron Amond saw the league points wrapped up before Diarmaid Walshe put respectability on the scoreboard when he netted from a free with the last kick of the game. Final score Old Leighlin 1-15 Tinryland 1-11

Old Leighlin: James Clarke, Brendan Kinsella, Niall Roche, Padraig Coughlan, Sean Kinsella, Willie Minchin, Declan Gough 0-1, David Bambrick, Ian Atkinson, Sean Bambrick 0-3, Cathal Coughlan 0-5, Michael Meaney 0-1, Seamus Kinsella 0-2, Hughie Gahan 0-1, Aaron Amond 1-2.

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly, Conor Byrne, Conor Ryan, Cian Lawlor, Rory Doyle, Niall Lowry, Shane Webb, Peter Hennessy 0-2, Keith Jackson, Conor McGrath, Padraic Townsend 0-2, Matthew O’Toole, James McGrath 0-2,Paul Doyle, Cormac Walshe 0-3, Subs: Cian Moore, Adam Dunne, Diarmaid Walshe 1-2, Ciaran Larkin, Glen Doyle. 

Referee Ciaran Kelly Fighting Cocks.